Life in a 1928 farmhouse can be a challenge. At around 1,200 square feet, storage is at a minimum. So I’m always on the lookout for creative solutions at a budget price. For a while we had drawers from an old dresser under our bed to hold extra sheets and towels. Not really a good option though since we generally have a cat or two wandering around who finds the quiet hidden spot under the bed in the middle of fresh linens irresistible. And it’s not a convenient place to keep extra towels for guests either.
I was keeping my eyes open for an option and thinking that I was going to have to talk Ken into another Pinterest project when I spotted this old gun cabinet that a friend was offering on Facebook Classifieds.
Pretty sure that Ken didn’t see my vision when I showed it to him. And when it was dropped off and I was able to get a good look at it, I wasn’t even sure I could make it happen. But it had such a great quirky shape I just had to try.
I wish I knew more about the history of the piece. I love things with a good story. Like my tea cabinet in the dining room, it looks like this was probably a shop project. It’s older than the other cabinet. 50’s maybe? The inside was lined with a green felt that had drawn moisture and had a musty smell, and the hasp to lock it with had to go.
It took me a bit to get all the felt removed and the hasp taken off. Ken filled all the holes for me and the entire thing got a good sanding. And since it was a little shorter than I wanted, he built a scrap wood base to not only raise it up a few inches, but add to the character of the piece as well.
Then it was a nice coat of alabaster paint. If I had to do it over again I would have painted the entire thing with Kilz primer first. But we live 16 miles out of town and I wanted to paint it NOW, so I ended up giving it 3 good coats of my regular paint and it came out just fine. One of the quirky things about this cupboard was the tons of brass screws that adorned the front. I just painted over the top of them and then hit them with sandpaper when I did my final distress.
I knew that I didn’t want clear glass in the door but I also didn’t want to pay a ton to have a mirror cut for it. A trip to Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon and I was able to get a can of Looking Glass spray paint for about $5. It’s definitely a job that you want to do in the yard with plenty of ventilation, but one can sprayed in several light layers gave my glass a beautiful, almost mercury glass like finish.
A little lace added to the edge of the shelf is a nice happy accent.
I think this is probably one of my most favorite projects I’ve done so far. And I love the fact that there isn’t another one like it in the world…