Several years ago, someone gave me a box of the most incredible Irish Potato Candy for St. Patrick’s Day. I had never even heard of them, but I understand that they are a thing back East and a traditional St. Patties treat. This year I finally decided I had to make them myself. It turns out that they are neither Irish, or potato, but they are yummy and that’s all that really matters now isn’t it?
So ugly they’re cute, these Irish Potato Candies are well worth the time it takes to make them. Not that it’s much. Actually, they’re pretty easy. The hardest part is not eating one for every three you make. Seriously addicting. They make a great little St. Patrick’s treat and because they’re so rich, a small box of them is enough to make a nice gift.
How cute would these be tucked into one of those little drawstring burlap gift bags? But, if you’re like me and don’t have those in your craft stash, you could print out a few of these super simple gift boxes with the four-leaf clover on top and fill them with Irish Potato goodness…
You’ll find the free printable gift box here: St Patricks Treat Box
All you need is card stock, scissors, and a glue stick. Super easy.
Wishing you all the Luck of the Irish,
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz powdered sugar
- 1 tea. vanilla (or rum flavoring!)
- 7 oz flaked coconut
- cinnamon for rolling the "potatoes" in
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix on low until combined.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Form about 1/2 tsp of the mix into small potato shapes. Roll in cinnamon and lay on a cookie sheet. Place in the refrigerator to chill until firm before packaging.
- Best if kept refrigerated. You can substitute rum flavor for the vanilla.